Saturday, February 3, 2007

Home Archeology

Have you ever undertaken a home improvement project with a few power tools and an overblown sense of your own skill? Of course you have! I have made lots of sawdust over the years, built fences, laid floors, constructed a fireplace mantel, made cabinets and installed windows just to name a few things, and I am NOT a carpenter.

This time around, I decided to replace the old sliding glass door in our early 60's era tract house. Can I do it? Of course I can! I may have irrational exuberence, but most of all, I have bright lights and cold steel.

I hope to document the whole dusty mess, from busting out the old stucco to final trim and paint. Like most projects undertaken by home owners, I have never installed a sliding glass door before, but I am cheap (or frugal) and hate to pay someone for something i can do myself. After all, there are books that explain this stuff! But as you may have experienced yourself, the situation that you are faced with in your own house is often just a little different than what is in the book, so you have to improvise. That is where the fun (and anxiety) comes in.